Explorathon @ Leith Labs
Ocean Terminal shopping centre
Friday 12pm-6pm; Saturday 10am-4pm
No booking required
This weekend we have a Leith Labs Bonanza celebrating the joint Explorathon and Fun Palace festivities with free drop-in activities, talks and hands-on workshops for families, community members, shoppers and visitors alike at Ocean Terminal!
Leith Labs is the world’s first long-term scientist-in-residence programme in a shopping centre connecting the Leith Community with local researchers, and curating discussions, activities and experiments based on questions that can be submitted online, in person or using postcards in our newly hacked science postbox found in the mall.
No booking is required, all events are free and all ages are welcome to drop-in to the Atrium (Ground Floor) and Living Memory Association (First Floor) next to Debenhams and the People Know How Community Space.
Highlights on the Friday (12PM – 6PM) celebrating EU Researchers Night across Scotland include: (Event Page)
– Making Virus Arts and Crafts
– Using ultrasound to see your own speech in a completely new way
– Discussing the latest work tackling issues in global and mental health
– Debating the ideal education system or drug policy for Scotland
– Joining experts in the fight against cancer in an interactive debate & soundscape
– Asking whether learning a second language can help keep your brain young
– Finding out the gritty details of working in the North Pole
– Watch & join in our science busking with experiments for all!
Arts-Science Highlights on the Saturday (10AM – 4PM) joining more than 280 other community Fun Palaces around the world include: (Event Page)
– Singing for Mental Health with the HarmonyChoir
– Breakdancing with local dancers (and the neuroscience behind it!)
– Storytelling with a science twist with local writer Lynsay May
– Answering your questions on obesity, memory and your DNA
– A tour of the Modern Venus Exhibition in People Know How
– The Launch of the Digital Skills Workshop Re:Connect with Ragged University at People Know How
On the Sunday, the Atrium space will host Pattern Labs – a hands on workshop exploring maths, patterns and crafts!
In partnership with Leith Labs