- When: Friday 30 October 2020 - Monday 30 November 2020
- Admission: Admission Free
- Booking: Booking required
- Booking URL: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/beauty-in-hell-culture-in-the-gulag-exhibition-relaunch-tickets-126448413609
- This event will be held online: https://www.gla.ac.uk/hunterian/visit/exhibitions/virtualexhibitions/beautyinhellcultureinthegulag/
This virtual exhibition uncovers the history of The Sovoloki Camp, the ‘first Gulag’ labour camp of the USSR, instated for the ‘re-education’ of undesirable citizens. Explore the unique circumstances that led to this camp and how the cultural activity of the intelligentsia held there formed a resistance to the systematic violence and oppression.
Beauty in Hell: Culture in the Gulag highlights current research by Dr Andrea Gullotta, Lecturer in Russian Studies at the University of Glasgow.